Don't read my lips.
0 comment Sunday, July 13, 2014 |
On October 10, 2010, Obama said, "I will end 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell.' That's my commitment to you."

But on October 12, 2010, Obama's administration said it would appeal a judge's ruling that held a ban on gay marriage (the "Defense of Marriage Act" or DOMA) is unconstitutional.
In yet another case, Obama 's Justice Department defended the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy ("DADT") and asked the judge to uphold it. Now that the judge has ruled DADT unconstitutional and unenforceable, the Obama administration is expected to appeal that ruling, as well.
But in the above video clip of a speech he gave just three days ago, Obama was clearly against DADT and all for gay rights.
And here's a snippet from his 2008 campaign website, in which he addresses DOMA and DADT, and says he wants to repeal them both:
But I also believe that the federal government should not stand in the way of states that want to decide on their own how best to pursue equality for gay and lesbian couples � whether that means a domestic partnership, a civil union, or a civil marriage. Unlike Senator Clinton, I support the complete repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) � a position I have held since before arriving in the U.S. Senate. While some say we should repeal only part of the law, I believe we should get rid of that statute altogether. Federal law should not discriminate in any way against gay and lesbian couples, which is precisely what DOMA does. I have also called for us to repeal Don�t Ask, Don�t Tell, and I have worked to improve the Uniting American Families Act so we can afford same-sex couples the same rights and obligations as married couples in our immigration system. (emph. added)
So . . . . what happened? I'm thoroughly confused.

Labels: , , , , , ,