Greetings from an Exhausted Mass. Poll-Watcher
0 comment Monday, May 26, 2014 |
Once Brown surged ahead in Massachusetts, his campaign sent out an "all hands on deck" email asking for attorney volunteers to serve as poll-watchers. So I, along with hundreds of other lawyers, agreed to help out. We flew up to Massachusetts on Monday morning.
Tuesday morning, we woke up at 5:00 a.m., hopped on vans at 6:10 a.m., and shipped out to various polling locations throughout the state, where we stayed for 13+ hours. (Massachusetts polls are open from 7AM until 8PM).
The next morning, we caught flights out of Boston to go home, and I've been sleeping ever since.
I'll be back with a full post tomorrow or Saturday, with stories from the ground.
Like the Coakley poll-watcher who thought Brown poll-watchers were there to torture small animals. By the end of the night, though, we were friends.
And then there was the precinct where two ballots were given to a single voter, on three separate occasions . . .
Oh, and the absentee ballot on which the voter had voted for two different candidates (the machine rejected it as being "over-filled") but the warden nonetheless said she was "calling" it a vote for Coakley.
The drama of challenging a vote. Oy vey.
But in the end, it didn't matter. The margin was too wide.
Best of all was shaking hands with Scott Brown -- and that poor man's hand was surely sore.

Oh, and last but not least, the story of when I stumbled blindly, wildly, with toothpicks holding my eyes open, into Norah O'Donnell, at the airport ticket kiosk. She kindly helped me find my gate, as I was blind in my old glasses.
These stories and more, coming up on Blogger Minutes.
In the meantime, I'm off to catch a few more ZZZZZZZs.

Labels: , , ,