Sex and NaBloPoMo
0 comment Monday, April 28, 2014 |
On various blogs I've seen repeated mention of something called "Nablopomo." It sounded like NAMBLA to me, so I just mentally blocked it out. But after seeing this bizarre acronym on many respected blogs, I figured it couldn't be illegal. What the hell was it, though? So I hopped on google and of course it's boringly innocent, stands for "National Blog Posting Month." Bloggers were challenged to post to their blogs every day for all of November. No titillating mystery there. My discovery was disappointingly anticlimactic.
And already, numerous bloggers are lamenting their Nablo "failures" feeling guilty and remorseful that they just weren't up to the daily task. This blogger says, relax. Posting every day is too much to ask. What's the point, anyway? For most of us, it just leads to mediocrity.

But what about a challenge to have sex for seven days? Couldn't this lead to mediocrity, too? Surely such copious copulation would at least lead to a precipitous drop-off in performance. How could it not? Wouldn't it turn sex into . . . well, you know, just everyday sex?
Let me say at the outset that this week-long sex concept is not my idea. Not a chance. While looking up the Nablo challenge, I came across another one, bearing the moniker "Leaving Lust Vegas." A clever play on words, I was left intrigued. So I investigated and found this church video, just when I thought I'd seen everything when it came to the commercial promotion of evangelism. Go on, watch it, if you're sitting down.Lust Vegas Week 2 Promo.
Talk about shrewd and clever marketing. This video is no joke, folks, no parody from YouTube. The preacher of Fellowship Church in Grapevine, Texas, is challenging his married members to have intercourse for seven days, commencing this Sunday. (Click the title to my post if you don't believe me)

Preacher Ed Young, made this headline-grabbing announcement last Sunday, and will formally issue his challenge this Sunday, perched atop a king-size bed displayed upon his king-sized stage. The positioning of preacher Young and his hands (purposeful?) on this particular corner of the bed is curious. That's all I'm going to say.
I am also curious whether the preacher is exhorting his flock to engage in a seven-day sex marathon or, instead, have sex a mere once daily for seven days. This remains unclear. Perhaps the married congregants will require a seven-day sex sabbatical from their employer. Singles, though, are left out of the fold. The preacher made clear that unmarrieds are not invited to join in the frivolities (though he does want them in the benches this Sunday).
Preacher Young's wife Lisa is psyched, too. Here's what she had to say in her "pre-challenge" blog post: I'm so excited about this challenge! (And yes, ladies, I'm the one who brought the idea to Ed through a magazine article I'd found.) Why am I so excited? That's simple. Becaues [sic] God has revolutionized my view of sex and removed a lot of preconceived notions I had. And I can truly value intimacy done God's way.* * *So here's my prayer for this next week. First, to the ladies. I'm praying that God expands your view of the importance of sex in marriage and that He gives you the diligence in prioritizing this aspect of your marriage. And for the men, my prayer is that you will lead out spiritually for your wife so that the oneness God has in mind will supernaturally flow through every aspect of your marriage. (And yes, that includes sex.)Supernatural flow. Wow. And it was the wife's idea. Once again, there are no words, except that Preacher Young must be feeling pretty damn studly right now.
A seven-day sex challenge, coupled with a commitment to blog daily, overwhelms this mom's circuit board. I'm feeling feeble and out of sorts, different from everyone else, out of the loop. My daily challenges make Nablo and Lust Vegas look like a picnic in the park. After cooking and cleaning and candle-stick making, I'm lucky to squeeze in a hot bath or a good read.So with great reluctance I'll have to pass on what promises to be an inspiring sermon this Sunday.
(Heavy sigh)

Labels: , , , , ,